UPDATED Adams Chetwood Wealth Management Group (Durham, NC) Seeking Director of Ops / CCO
JOB TITLE: Director of Operations / Chief Compliance Officer
WHO WE ARE: We are a faith-driven RIA that helps guide clients to financial peace of mind. This mission means we view our work as more than just a job – instead, we are honored to care for clients’ life savings and steward the funding of their life’s hopes and dreams. As stewards, we want to care for clients in every way that money impacts them – financially, emotionally, relationally and even spiritually. Every strategic decision that we make is viewed through that lens. We believe individually and collectively that:
- we can always improve;
- that trying to be wise all the time is better than trying to be right all the time;
- that every single person on the team should have a voice;
- that our families are our most important clients;
- and that we have a distinct and intimate privilege of walking with clients through many chapters of life.
Because any career takes up a large chunk of our waking hours, we think it is important to enjoy the people with whom we work. Life is too short to have miserable colleagues. We have a fantastic culture because we speak the truth in love to each other and desire each other’s best future. Each of us is humble, hungry and smart. We understand what is being asked of us and we genuinely enjoy what we do because of who we get to do it for and who we get to do it with.
WHO YOU ARE: Our ideal Director of Operations/CCO loves helping clients, leading a team, and desires a long term career in the wealth management industry. You are poised and polished in dealing with high net worth clients and have excellent communication skills. You enjoy utilizing your exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills to solve client issues, keep the internal business systems on track, and improve business processes through lean principles.
You have a fanatical attention to detail and have high standards of excellence for yourself and for your team. You are comfortable being fully accountable for the client service delivered by your department and have a hunger to proactively improve your domain. As an experienced servant leader, you demonstrate outstanding initiative and are able to find answers and solve problems on your own, but also coach up your team as their success is your success.
You understand the weight of dealing with a family’s life savings, and to that end, you let nothing slip through the cracks in the operations or service delivery process. Finally, you are always humble, and a true team player, and as such, you embody the firm values of continuous improvement, wisdom, ownership, family and stewardship.
JOB SUMMARY: The Director of Operations/Chief Compliance Officer is integral to our clients’ financial success and the success of our organization. In this role, you will lead and manage a team to service the needs of high net worth clients. As a member of the leadership team, you will advise on how to continuously improve operational strategy. You will administer, improve, and design business processes and procedures to create a repeatable, red carpet service experience for our clients. The Director of Operations/CCO will also handle complex operational needs for clients and will proactively work with the firm’s custodian to make the client experience seamless. You will also be responsible for proactively training and coaching operations staff to enhance their knowledge, skills, and service delivery.
The Director of Operations/CCO will also oversee the RIA and broker dealer compliance. This position will lead the Compliance department and oversee all compliance and regulatory interaction and audit functions. Responsibilities include working with the firm’s attorney/compliance consultant to develop and maintain policies and procedures and oversee the overall design/maintenance of the advisory services compliance program. The CCO will also be responsible for ensuring that Adams Chetwood reporting complies with regulatory requirements as well as firm policies and supervisory procedures.
70% – Director of Operations
• Report to the Managing Partner and oversee all administrative and operational client service support.
• Improve existing operational systems and implement new systems as needed to increase service quality, efficiency, and firm profitability.
• Lead and manage a team of Client Associates to ensure excellent and consistent service levels, ensuring timely resolution of customer issues, and prompt client follow up
• Oversee all operational duties including new account processes, updating accounts, processing transfers, processing disbursements and deposits, data reconciliation, reporting, etc.
• Manage the professional development and training of all operations and compliance staff
• Verify accuracy of solutions delivered from non-client facing teams before delivery to clients.
• Oversee the updating of financial reporting and contact management systems to maintain data accuracy and integrity
• Oversee the technology infrastructure and manage third party relationships (i.e. custodians, vendors, and technology providers)
30% – Chief Compliance Officer
• Act as our appointed SEC and FINRA regulatory liaison, managing regulatory audits and exams
• Develop an overall strategic vision for the compliance program which effectively manages and mitigates risk, establishes proper controls, supports business initiatives and protects the company from legal and regulatory risk
• Executes on strategic & consistent approaches to compliance reviews, issues and/or concerns to minimize the enterprise’s exposure
• Oversees all departments to ensure compliance requirements are being met and proactively collaborates with other departments as needed to ensure compliance issues are addressed, investigated, and resolved.
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree (preferably in Business Management, Economics, or Finance)
• Series 7 license, CFP, ChFC, or WMS strongly preferred
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience in wealth management operations (preferably within an RIA context)
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in broker-dealer and/or RIA compliance
• Minimum 5 years’ experience managing a team in a broker-dealer or RIA environment
• Knowledge of Securities Act of ‘33, Investment Advisers Act of ‘40, Investment Company Act of ‘40 and broad knowledge of various federal and state regulations
• Familiarity with Charles Schwab RIA custodial platform and operational processes preferred
• Proficiency with Orion portfolio management software and Salesforce CRM software preferred
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, etc.) required
• Strong general IT infrastructure knowledge preferred
• Self starter and problem solver who is able to anticipate hurdles and design business processes accordingly
• Passionate about helping people while displaying a warm and engaging personality in all interactions
• Fanatical attention to detail with a track record of letting nothing slip through the cracks
• Excellent ability to prioritize and manage several tasks at once
• Outstanding ability to think on your feet and empathize with high net worth clients to resolve issues
• Polished presentation skills with the ability to explain complex topics in a simplified manner to both team members and clients
• Proven ability to delegate, manage, and train others to meet service expectations while maintaining the mindset of a servant leader
• Excellent professional verbal and written communication skills with the ability to craft business communications free from punctuation and grammatical errors
• Compensation is commensurate with experience and is made up of base salary plus a quarterly bonus. The quarterly bonus is based on firm wide and individual performance goals. Total compensation (base salary plus bonus) for this position ranges from $100,000 to $125,000.
o Fully paid health insurance for employees
o 401k with match and discretionary profit sharing
o Paid vacation
o Paid parental leave
o Paid time off for volunteer/service projects
o Paid FPA membership
o Ongoing career development, including training/certification reimbursement
Please complete the Director of Ops/CCO Questionnaire. You will be able to submit your resume and cover letter here as well. Please note that this job is located in Durham, NC, and we prefer that employees live within 25-30 miles of the office.
We are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. Our top priority is the health and safety of our team and clients.